Thinking about becoming an ESL tutor? Our ESL tutors spend between one and a half and two and a half hours each week on course materials and tutoring. Our students are all from the local community and are grouped by communication level. Groups vary between 4 and 7 students and can be either beginner, high beginner, intermediate, high intermediate, or advanced levels.
Classes are held:
- Monday through Saturday from 9:45 am to 3:00 pm
- Monday through Thursday evenings from 7:00 pm to 8:30 pm
- Saturday mornings from 9:45 am to 11:15 am
We also offer conversation circles which currently meet Saturdays from 9:45 to 10:45 am. Volunteers who sign-up to lead conversation circles commit to one to two hours every 4 to 6 weeks. All materials are supplied.
Still interested? Click on the application below to volunteer. We’d love to have you join our team!
Students and Classes
The Fort Lee Public Library offers ESL groups throughout the week and at 5 different levels. The levels are based on the communication skills of listening comprehension and speaking. If you are interested in classes, please look at the levels and their descriptions below and choose the level that BEST describes your speaking and listening skills and then fill-out the ESL Application. Remember, do not consider your written English.
- Beginner – I can say and understand very little in English.
- High Beginner – I know basic words and phrases in English, but it is not easy to have an English conversation.
- Intermediate – I can have a basic conversation in English, but it is hard and I am not comfortable speaking English.
- High Intermediate: – I can speak English, but I need people to practice. Listening is harder than speaking and I question myself a lot.
- Advanced – I can speak, read, and write in English, but I’d like to improve my vocabulary and pronunciation and/or practice with a native speaker.
The Fort Lee Public Library offers beginner through advanced ESL classes from mid-September through early June. Registration for the 2019-2020 session will begin July 1st. In the meantime please join us for a drop-in conversation circle.
Weds, 11:30 AM & 7:00 PM and Sat, 9:45 AM
Drop in intermediate to advanced conversation groups. No registration required.
Sat, 9:45 AM
Drop in Begginer Group. No registration required.